G.B. Madison

G.B. Madison
The Wild Ol' Okie Boy

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

RETURN TO ASH FORK - page 17.

Excitement mounted as I drove the last twenty mile stretch from Seligman to Ash Fork, and I musted to calm myself. I had seen G.B.'s face, but only in short bursts of light from passing cars, so I had left Arizona with at most, a vague impression of his head. I did not know if he was tall or short, fat or thin, handsome or homely. I only knew I loved the beautiful music of his slow southern voice and the tender loving words he spoke each time he phoned me in Canada.

I decided he would be wearing gorgeous hand tooled leather cowboy boots, a big Stetson hat and a western style suit.

Our rendezvous was the "Bus Depot" at eight-fifteen a. m. When I walked into the cafe' "dressed and groomed," I stared intently into each man's face. They looked, but no one rose to greet me. I turned when I heard the front door open and saw a man of medium height standing in the doorway. He was dressed in khaki work shirt and pants, steel toed work boots and an old straw cowboy hat.

"Are you G.B.?" I asked the man.

"Oh. . . " he replied, "a red-head, I thought y'all was a blonde."

G.B. had a fine straight back, but a decided bow to the legs, and I couldn't see any sign of hair beneath his straw hat. This was definately not the Adonia for whom my mother was hoping. "Before I take y'all to y'all's motel, I'm fixin' to show y'all somethin'." I left Ludwig Van Volkswagon parked at the cafe' and London my faithful sheepdog and I climbed into G.B.'s company pick-up.

G.B. drove in a westerly direction through town and on down Route 66. I studied his face as he chatted and I thought it looks so , used. His chin had been split and mended in several places and his nose. . . was one of a kind. I could not associate my new love with his face.


"G.B. and the Strange Canadian Painter Lady"
By Charlotte Madison and Nana Cook copyright 1994

No comments: