G.B. Madison

G.B. Madison
The Wild Ol' Okie Boy

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

DESERT NIGHT page 39 of 161 pages

G.B. was in Oklahoma visiting a new grand-baby, while I sat beside London in the darkness
listening to an old hooty-owl on a nearby cactus . . . I breathed the sweet essence of juniper
wood burning in the stone fire-pit at the edge of my butte. I saw the moon rise and etch outlines of desert mesas and stately saguaros. I saw sparks rise to join stars in the blue-black sky. I
heard cattle rustling in the darkness at the base of my butte. I heard the bray of the burro
tethered down the pass and yaps and shrieks of coyotes, who like I, lived this night, in this
desert place, on this wondrous Christmas Eve.

I stared past the fire into the darkness and thought, this must be like the first Christmas.

I looked up into the dark night sky, not for snow, not for Santa, I looked for an unusually large star.




by Charlotte Madison and Nana Cook copyright 1994

No comments: